Sunday, April 3, 2022

Sonny Rollins - Reel Life (Milestone, 1982)

This post is by Scott

Sonny Rollins (ts); Bobby Broom (g); Yoshiaki Masuo (g, claves); Bob Cranshaw (el b, cabasa); Jack DeJohnette (d, cga, maracas)

Recorded August 17 - 22, 1982


I've discovered that I disagree with the general consensus on Sonny Rollins' Milestone recordings in two different ways.  

First, it seems like many listeners who love Sonny Rollins' music don't like his Milestone albums.  Over the last few years, after ignoring them for way too long, I finally began to thoroughly explore the music from Sonny's later years -- and I've discovered that I really enjoy most of the Milestones.  And not just a little bit.  I think that many of them are flat-out terrific.  I would urge others who haven't already done so to listen to the music for yourself and form your own judgments.

Sonny's sound did evolve in the 1970s and 1980s.  To some it seems less refined, taking on a rawness and gruffness that turned off some listeners.  I freely admit that I happen to dig Sonny's "new" sound as much as any of the phases that had preceded it.  But, more importantly, Sonny's sound retained the joyousness and power that had always distinguished it. These qualities were still resoundingly present, just like they always had been -- even as his sound (and the musical contexts in which he presented himself) continued to evolve.

Second, I disagree with the truism that Sonny's best album of the 1980s is G-Man.  (I suppose that's obvious, given my selection of Reel Life.)  G-Man features some explosive and thrilling playing from Sonny, but it has never appealed to me as an "album."  It lacks that satisfying sense of cohesiveness that you get when an album adds up to more than the sum of its parts.  

I suppose that's why I chose Reel Life.  Listening to this album gives me joy; it always brings a smile to my face.  It's also a wonderful example of the continued strength and vitality in Sonny's playing in the 1980s.  That's what I hear.






More Sonny Rollins in the 1980s
If I hadn't chosen Reel Life, I would have selected Falling in Love with Jazz (Milestone, 1989).  It's another joyous outing from Sonny that's strong from start to finish.



1 comment:

  1. Whatever else they are, the Milestone albums are very Sonny Rollins. And most of them are quite enjoyable if you let them be what they are and don't sabotage your experience of them with unrealistic expectations.

    ReplyDelete

Gust William Tsilis & Alithea with Arthur Blythe - Pale Fire (Enja, 1987)

This post is by Scott and Dan Gust William Tsilis (vib); Arthur Blythe (as); Allen Farnham (kybd); Anthony Cox (b); Horacee Arnold (d); Arto...