Saturday, February 26, 2022

Art Pepper Quartet - APQ: The Maiden Voyage Sessions, Vol. 3 (Galaxy, 1984)

This post is by Scott

Art Pepper (as); George Cables (p); David Williams (b); Carl Burnett (d)

Recorded on August 13 & 15, 1981


Between 1982 and 1984, Galaxy released three LPs from Art Pepper's August 1981 gig at the Maiden Voyage club in Los Angeles.  Roadgame was the first.  (It was the only one issued while Pepper was still living.)  Art Lives was the second, and APQ was the third.   All three are excellent and feature Pepper's formidable band with George Cables, David Williams, and Carl Burnett. 

I suppose it's unusual that I'm most drawn to the third release.  Most of the time, the earliest issues from a gig are the best.  When I was making my selections for this project, I went back to the first two volumes to double-check my impressions.  Listening again re-affirmed my initial choice.  APQ is my favorite.  It's just one of those records that works perfectly as an album -- a very, very satisfying listening experience.  

Art Lives and APQ have never been issued on CD, but the recordings are all available on Pepper's Complete Galaxy Recordings box set, and Craft/Concord has issued The Complete Maiden Voyage Sessions as downloads.  So listeners can easily create a playlist if they don't spin vinyl.

Even though Pepper died in June 1982, he made some really wonderful records the last two-and-a-half years of his life.  I could have easily chosen several other releases.  Laurie Pepper's archival releases on Widow's Taste are excellent, especially the Ronnie Scott's gig with Milcho Leviev.  Winter MoonOne September Afternoon.  The duo records with George Cables.  I dig it all. 

But, if I had to pick one...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Gust William Tsilis & Alithea with Arthur Blythe - Pale Fire (Enja, 1987)

This post is by Scott and Dan Gust William Tsilis (vib); Arthur Blythe (as); Allen Farnham (kybd); Anthony Cox (b); Horacee Arnold (d); Arto...